Monday, February 4, 2008

Thinking about my dad :-)

At Christmas time my mom found this picture in one of the decoration boxes. I love looking at old pictures and remembering fun memories. I am so thankful I had parents that loved me so much. I am so thankful I had a dad that would play with me when he was home from work. What a wonderful example I had growing up. When I have kids I pray I will have as much patience with them as they did with me.

My dad and I have always been very close. Some people would say "daddy's girl" I don't really like that saying very much. I love my mom the same amount as my dad so I'm just as much a "mom's girl". But I will say that I have had a special relationship with my dad. His love for the Lord and his daily devotion inspire me. I guess it's like we have a spiritual bond. From when I was young we use to sit and talk about all things deep and spiritual. I love hearing his messages from the jail and the lessons God was teaching him that week. My dad always pushed me to be better and to put God first. I have always considered my dad to be one of my closest friends. It was so funny when I told people that I was dating Tyson everyone's first reaction was how's your dad?!? ha ha Knowing how protective my dad was of me. It was a good thing my dad liked him right away. The day Tyson asked my dad for my hand in marriage was a BIG day. haha I don't remember if Tyson was nervous I'll have to ask him that. Anyway...my dad said yes of course and it was sweet because he said saying yes to give me away was so easy because he was giving me to Tyson.

The other day I found an old Amy Grant tape... and I thought about that song I think the tile was Father's Eyes.

"She's got her Father's eyes, her Father's eyes
Eyes that find the good in things, When good is not around.
Eyes that find the source of help, When help just can't be found.
Eyes full of compassion, seeing every pain.
Knowin' what you're going through, and feeling it the same."

For years I thought she was talking about her dad. This so described my dad! I would sing this song and I wanted people to see my dad in me. One day someone told me that her Father meant God the Father. At first I was bummed because that meant it couldn’t mean my dad anymore...but then I sang through the song and I realized something. My dad's got the eye's of the Father...that is what I admire so much in him. To sing I want his eyes is so true in my life because my dad's eyes are fixed on Jesus. To have his eyes means to have them set on Christ! Dad- thanks for listening to me chat your ear off for hours and hours. Thank you for loving me all these years so unconditionally and so selflessly. Thank you for seeing me as God sees me...a work in progress. Thank you for your heart to serve others and you daily example to serve God. I am so proud of you and the ministry God has given you...both recognized and unrecognized.

2 comments:

Katherine M. said...

What a beautiful tribute. Wish your parents well for Don and me.

Rebekah said...

Hey Tess! That was so sweet. I love your dad too. I always looked foward to his hugs :) Hope you are doing well!!!!